Shay Murtagh Precast were contracted by J Murphy & Sons on their project as part of Network Rail’s Railway Upgrade Plan. The plan which is to deliver a better, more reliable railway service for more than four million passengers that travel by train each day.
The upgrade of the Hungerford Road bridge is part of a wider £17million improvement programme to Network Rail structures between Crewe and Manchester. This project included strengthening work and the rebuilding of the southern side of the structure including a new parapet wall and the installation of new barriers and kerbs.
Shay Murtagh Precast manufactured and supplied 4NO Cill Beams, 4 NO Internal Box Beams (SD3)-(BEAM TYPE) and 26NO Approach Walls with coping units.
The manufactured unit weights are as follows:
- Cill 1 = 8.8TON
- Cill 2 = 10.5TON
- Cill 3 = 4.0TON
- Cill 4 = 3.3TON
- Riser Unit = 1.8TON
- Box Beam 3 = 10.5TON, length 10.600M
- Box Beam 6 = 10.5TON, length 10.600M
- Approach units = varying from 6.8TON to 8.0TON
- Box beams 2 & 5 were batched together here in the factory at a total mass of 24.5TON, length 10.600 M
- Box beams 1 & 4 were batched together here in the factory at a total mass of 22.75TON, length 10.600M
Beams (2&5) & (1&4) were batched together to reduce the amount of crane lifts.
Roadside face was red brick faced on the approach units which was completed here in the factory with a form liner finish to the track side.
Pre-delivery a trial assembly was held at our factory in Raharney where both J Murphy and Network Rail inspected after which all was disassembled and shipped to site.
The Hungerford Road bridge opened three weeks ahead of schedule in May 2016, and all the team at Shay Murtagh Precast take the opportunity to thank all involved.Gillian is the Marketing Director for Shay Murtagh Precast. The company's problem solving capacities allow us to give off site solutions to once insitu contracts which in turn speeds up project completion.
Working in conjunction with all divisions of the company she challenges industry norms in marketing.
Latest posts by Gillian Murtagh (see all)
Posted by Gillian Murtagh Posted on 27 Apr 2017
- LIME STREET STATION PROJECT, ORIGINALLY OPENED BY THE QUEEN GETS A NEW LEASE OF LIFE WITH EVANS BY SHAY MURTAGH BESPOKE CONCRETE. - 05/04/2018
- International Womens Day, Thursday 8th March 2018 - 08/03/2018
- Shay Murtagh Precast Complete Canadian Contract with confidence and professionalism - 05/02/2018